Contact: Cassandra Stalzer, 907-334-0520
First quarter awards announced
Anchorage - In the first quarter of 2012, Rasmuson Foundation made 29 awards totaling $915,215 to Alaska nonprofits, including three sabbatical awards previously announced. A complete list of awards can be found at the end of this release. Past awards are also searchable online here.
The Tier 1 program is a cornerstone of Rasmuson Foundation's grantmaking and provides grants of up to $25,000 for capital projects, technology updates, capacity building, program expansion, and creative works. Applications are accepted year-round. Examples of Tier 1 grants made during the period are:
• Aiding Women in Abuse and Rape Emergencies and Alaska Native Heritage Center will make facility improvements.
• Alaska Health Fair will purchase mobile vision and glaucoma screening equipment.
• The Anchorage Hospice and the Food Bank of Alaska will make technology upgrades.
• Alaska Museum of Natural History will change its lighting to energy-efficient lights, and staff will attend the Natural History Conference.
• Anchorage Museum Association will expand programming for the Museum’s True North exhibit.
• Alaska State Hospital and Nursing Home Association will continue to manage the Alaska Health Reform initiative.
• Asian Alaskan Cultural Center will renovate its kitchen used for community events.
• The Inupiat Community of the Arctic Slope will purchase a vehicle.
• Musk Ox Development Corporation will purchase a tractor.
• Perseverance Theatre will produce the musical, “Bigfoot and Other Lost Souls: A Musical Fable” in Anchorage and Juneau.
• USA Projects, a micro-philanthropy website, will support the participation of Alaskan artists in raising funds for work projects.
Arts Acquisition Fund
Museums Alaska will receive $325,000 to continue administering Rasmuson Foundation’s Arts Acquisition Fund, which provides grants to Alaska museums to enhance their permanent collections through the purchase of works by practicing Alaskan artists. Many of the items acquired by Alaska museums can be viewed here.
About the Foundation
The Rasmuson Foundation was created in May 1955 by Jenny Rasmuson to honor her late husband E.A. Rasmuson. The Foundation is a catalyst to promote a better life for all Alaskans.
05/31/2012 1st Qtr 2012 Awards