Connecting Alaskans to arts experiences is an important goal. Named after two former Rasmuson Board Members, Sandy and the late Jerry Harper, the Harper Arts Touring Fund was established in 2002 to stimulate access to high quality arts experiences in rural and underserved communities throughout Alaska and to encourage tours of Alaska’s performing and visual arts.
The Harper Arts Touring Fund provides grants to subsidize travel and freight expenses associated with presenting touring performers or arts/cultural exhibits in communities without regular access to these types of programs. Alaska organizations representing the needs of these communities may apply.
The following two programs are currently available:
- Exhibit Tour Arts presentations including but not limited to folk and traditional arts, media arts, visual art and historical exhibitions
- Performing Arts Tour Arts presentations including but not limited to theater, dance, opera/musical theater, music, performances for young audiences, and literary readings/storytelling
- Alaska organizations that have received 501(c)(3) status from the Internal Revenue Service and are classified as “not a private foundation” under section 509(a) of the Code
- Units of government and tribal entities
- A school, college or university if the proposed activity is open to the general public and
- The primary purpose of the project is NOT a school residency or to generate academic credit
How to Apply
The Harper Arts Touring Fund is administered by the Alaska State Council on the Arts. Application and guidelines can be found here. Contact ASCA at 907-269-6682. The mailing address for ASCA is 161 Klevin Street, Suite 102, Anchorage, AK 99508.