posted by Jeff Clarke, Vice President
This Friday, November 12th, the Alaska Chapter of Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP) will host its premier annual Alaska Philanthropy Day Conference and Luncheon at the Anchorage Sheraton Hotel. This event is held in conjunction with National Philanthropy Day and celebrates the outstanding contributions of philanthropy in our communities throughout Alaska.
We recognize that philanthropy in our state is comprised of a broad and complex ecosystem that includes nonprofits, individuals, corporations, foundations and communities. We applaud Alaska AFP for its leadership in celebrating the contributions of philanthropy in Alaska.
On November 12th there are three learning tracks designed to provide meaningful development opportunities to attendees. The full schedule and registration can be found here.
As part of this day, Philanthropy Northwest and the Alaska Funders Group developed one of the tracks designed to provide an introspective update on the state of philanthropy both sector-wide and here in Alaska. Here is a full description of that track:
PULSE: STATE OF PHILANTHROPY
Philanthropy and Society (9:30 – 11 AM)
- Andrea McManus, CFRE, President, The Development Group & Board Chair AFP;
- Carol Lewis, CEO, Philanthropy Northwest; and
- Moderator – Diane Kaplan, President, Rasmuson Foundation
Join us for a thoughtful discussion about the role philanthropy plays in shaping our society. Learn about the new strategies corporations and foundations are adopting to advance the issues they care about, how the relationships between funders and grantees are changing, and collaborations that are breaking down barriers between public and private sectors. This will be an engaging discussion between three practitioners who are helping to shape these new trends.
Alaska Philanthropy Day Luncheon (11:30 – 1PM)
Join AFP Board Chair Andrea McManus for the Event Keynote address. Join AFP in recognizing and celebrating the outstanding contributions of philanthropy in our communities.
Trends in Northwest Giving (1:30 – 3 PM)
- Carol Lewis, CEO, Philanthropy Northwest
Did you know:
- Philanthropic support is growing for Northwest organizations working to improve global health and eradicate infectious disease?
- Giving to education in the Northwest more than doubled from 2004 to 2008?
- Grants continue to be small, with half below $7,500?
Every two years, Philanthropy Northwest publishes a comprehensive report on giving from foundations and corporations to six states in the region. Come and hear Carol Lewis, CEO of Philanthropy Northwest, as she shares insights—from current trends to forecasts—to help you gain a clearer picture of how philanthropy in the Northwest is changing.
From the Source: Corporate Funders’ Panel (3:30 – 5PM)
- Alyeska Pipeline Service Co – Lynda Sather, Communications Manager, Fairbanks;
- CIRI – Barbara Donatelli, Senior Vice President;
- Credit Union 1 – Leslie Ellis, President & CEO;
- Koch Companies Public Sector / Flint Hills – Marisa Sharrah, Public Affairs Officer; and
- Wells Fargo – Stephanie Garrard, Alaska Contributions Manager
- Moderator – Jeff Clarke, Vice President, Rasmuson Foundation & Board Chair, Philanthropy Northwest
We always say “Alaska is different.” While that may be true in many regards, sweeping changes in corporate philanthropy are affecting Alaska too. More than ever, corporations recognize that how the public perceives them translates to the bottom line. As a result, corporations of all sizes are taking leadership roles as good citizens in the local communities in which they have a presence in response to these quickly changing public expectations. In addition to their grantmaking, corporate givers are creatively utilizing volunteerism, technology, in-kind-donations and matching gifts to increase the effectiveness of their community work.
Come and hear from the folks on the other side of the ask—the corporate funders themselves. We’ll welcome a diverse group which all share a commitment to Alaska: from corporations involved in national philanthropy to companies with a state-wide reach making a big difference.
We look forward to seeing you there!